August 6th is National Fresh Breath Day! It was created to show an appreciation for oral hygiene and the importance of taking care of your mouth. Dental offices love this day that is dedicated to fighting bad breath!
What are some tricks to maintaining fresh breath? How can you keep the “dog breath” with the dogs? Here are some ideas for keeping your mouth clean and breath smelling fresh.
- Brush and floss more often. Getting rid of food particles and plaque will help you to keep fresh smelling breath longer.
- Rinse that bad breath away. Use a good mouthwash daily that kills the germs that cause bad breath.
- Drink a lot of water. Saliva in your mouth can rinse away bad breath. Make sure your body can produce enough by hydrating yourself!
- Maintain healthy gums. Keeping your gums healthy promotes a healthy mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum. After meals, chew sugarless gum to help promote saliva production to rinse your mouth.
- Avoid foods that cause bad breath. Avoid foods like onions and garlic, which travel into your bloodstream and out your lungs in the air you exhale. (You can’t brush this away!)
- Clean your tongue. When brushing your teeth, don’t forget your tongue! Many bacteria can live on your tongue, so getting rid of those can help in the fight against bad breath.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption. Both smoking and alcohol can cause bad breath, so avoiding them will help keep your breath smelling fresh.
We all love having fresh breath all the time! However, bad breath happens to the best of us on occasion. If it is a consistent problem for you, talk to your dentist about it. There may be an easy solution!
If you have any questions, or for an appointment, please call:
Active Dental Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Plano, Texas at (972) 473-8880 or contact us here.